The Village of Macoun was established on October 16, 1903. Macoun was named after the great Canadian Botanist John Macoun. In 1903 Macoun had 2 elevators in operation along the CP Railway. The first post office opened September 1, 1903. 1920-1921 brought in SK Government telephones, CP Telegraph, Dominion Express Presbyterian, German Lutheran and Norwegian Lutheran Churches with a public school and a community population of 275 residents. Over time Macoun incorporated general stores, hardware and lumber shops, insurance companies, farm equipment retailers, a doctor's office offering prescription medications, real estate company, newspaper, blacksmiths, barber, hotel, restaurant, garage, contractors, a Royal Bank and more. An explosion and fire took out the 3 storey wood frame hotel on April 20, 1914 killing 13 people and destroying 4 other buildings along Appleton Ave. July 13, 1947 saw another fire in the community that destroyed the CPR Station which was a one storey building with office, waiting room, Agent's Quarters and an Express and Freight Warehouse. No fatalities occurred in that fire.